A tasty, easy way to enjoy red/purple cabbage. Recipe is adapted from Hello Fresh.
- deep sauce pan or pot with a lid
- cutting board
- 500 g red cabbage, shredded about 1/2 a large red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and grated we used gala but many other types would also be great
- 1 red or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- Cut all the ingredients. Shred cabbage, slice onion, mince garlic, grate apple.
- Using medium heat. Get your pot or sauce pan hot.
- Add 2 tbsp butter or oil to your pot or sauce pan. Once butter is melted or oil is warm add onions and garlic.
- Cook onions and garlic until softened.
- Mix up brown sugar, red wine vinegar and water.
- Add mixture and red cabbage to the pot with the onions and garlic.
- Cook with the lid on, stirring occasionally until cabbage has softened (about 15 minutes).
- Add apples to the cabbage mixture and cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or until apples have softened.
- Add 2-3 tbsp butter and stir until butter has melted.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
You can freeze the remaining shredded red cabbage and use it the next time you make this recipe to save you some time. Did you know? Red cabbage is usually more purple in colour. It contains anthocyanin which can lead to a change in pigmentation dependent on the acidity in the soil.